Translate

Thursday 7 April 2016

Life Drawing Session 1

Last night I attended a life drawing session for the first time in over 20 years! Life drawing was my favourite thing when I was at school but on my degree course the only life drawing sessions were outside of classes and with all the other work there often wasn't time to fit them in. I last attended a life drawing evening class when I lived in London in the early 90's.
I was a little trepidatious about going but it was actually terrific. The artist Nikhil Nathan Kirsh holds the sessions in his studio space at the Attico Art Centre in Watford. It was very informal - aside from the model there was only three of us drawing and a photographer.
Nikhil had an idea he wanted to try - using a projector to place photos from the previous week's session (of a male and female) over the the model to create all sorts of shadows and layers. It did feel a bit like diving in at the deep end but I was up for a challenge! The only trouble was that the lack of light made it a bit gloomy - after a while Nikhil got out some candles which helped a little. We did a quick warm-up followed by two longer poses and then another quick one at the end. I really enjoyed it, even though I'm VERY rusty having only worked with photos for so long. I can't wait for next week! I'm going to post my drawings each week and hope to see improvements as we go!

All drawing are in charcoal on A3 paper.


Drawing 1

Drawing 2

Drawing 3

Drawing 4

No comments:

Post a Comment